B. Perdy girls love cookies, especially if they come from one of our favorite spots like the charming bakery Merridee’s Breadbasket, located in historic downtown Franklin, Tennessee. As soon as you walk through their threshold, your senses are overwhelmed with the sweet smells of cinnamon and nutmeg. Just like any good bakery should, the scents alone are enough to make your tummy growl.
It’s kind of funny, because not only do Lindsay and I love cookies but so do our kids. One of the treats we certainly have to indulge in when we visit Merridee’s, are their chewy, cinnamony and oh so delicious snickerdoodle cookies. When we got our hands on the Favorites Recipes from Merridee’s Breadbasket cookbook, there might have been some squealing with delight (ha!)! The joy of this cookbook, whether you are local or not, is you can have many of the bakery’s popular treats straight from your kitchen! Hence, our excitement, yay! Happy baking and eating!!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon Sugar (2 tablespoons sugar to 2 teaspoons cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well.
- Sift together flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture and combine well.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and top with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until done.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie
Merridee’s Breadbasket is located at
110 Fourth Avenue South
Franklin, TN 37064
Recipe courtesy of Favorites Recipes from Merridee’s Breadbasket Cookbook