The season of strawberries is one of my favorites! This year, we went strawberry picking at Green Door Gourmet and came home with lots of sweet, ripe berries. The taste of a strawberry picked from a farm cannot compare to those from the grocery store. Great memories and full tummies were had by all that day we went strawberry pickin’.
The first thing that came to mind as I looked at our baskets overflowing with berries, was a strawberry pie. As the seasons turn, I have certain foodie items I have to have at least once. A slice of pie, seemed perfect to enjoy after a hot day in the sun. Oh how I wish you could smell the fragrant scents coming out of the kitchen while the berries were boiling and simmering. Reminds me of my childhood and all the slices of strawberry pie I have had over the years. Happy pie eating!
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shell, baked and cooled
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- Refrigerate half of the strawberries, 2 cups.
- In a medium size pot, crush the other half (2 cups) of strawberries and bring to a boil.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir gradually into strawberry mixture.
- Stirring constantly, cook until thickened, approximately at least 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Place chilled berries into pie shell and spread the cooled strawberry mixture evenly over.
- Refrigerate for several hours until it is cold.
- Serve with whip cream.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie