What is it about a bunch of bananas sitting on my kitchen counter that gives me this itch to bake?! It’s like my banana duty that I cannot throw them away, even though they are ripe and way past the point I’ll eat them. I prefer bananas just after they have turned from green to yellow. I know, it’s a small banana eating window. I say all this yet the people in my house this week have all requested any and everything but banana. Of course, right?!
I love banana bread and frankly it always sounds good to me. Since I’m the one baking, I made the final call. I found a recipe for buttermilk banana bread and it sounded intriguing. There is something about buttermilk whenever it is added to ANYTHING, it simply tastes better. I don’t know how to describe that, but it is almost like a little secret I am finding with recipes. Over the years, I have been substituting buttermilk for milk and the end result is a more well-rounded, softer taste. The batch of buttermilk banana muffins were almost completely eaten the day I made them. All my eaters and their friends, could not get enough. Happy muffin eating!
Buttermilk Banana Muffins
- 1//2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium size bananas, mashed
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Mix flour mixture into batter until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and their Pod