Happy Cinco de Mayo! B. Perdy girls LOVE food, especially Mexican! We love celebrating these food holidays. We also love a good salad, and a Tex Mex 7-layer one hits all the right check marks for us :).
A couple of months ago, I made Natasha Stoneking, lifestyle blogger of Hello Happiness and owner of a children’s boutique Sugar Bit, recipe of Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas that she had shared with us. Those enchiladas are divine, and a great dish to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with. Personally, I think the secret to them is the chicken. It is fantastic and super versatile! I have recreated the chicken marinade many times in lots of different ways. So far, this Tex Mex 7-layer salad is my most favorite pared with the chicken. It is fresh and light and perfect for entertaining friends, a quick weeknight meal or a baby shower. Even for Cinco de Mayo! Yep, I have made this combo for all of the above! It is also quick to double, triple or quadruple. And that would be a yes I have done all that as well. In fact, the pic below is taken at a baby shower we catered, and due to the number of guests, I doubled the salad and quadrupled the marinade for the chicken. Happy eating!
Tex Mex 7-Layer Salad
- 3-4 cups of romaine, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can of corn, drained (you could also use fresh or frozen)
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- Sprinkle of paprika
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1/3 cup of salsa verde
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Sprinkle salt
- Sprinkle pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 ounce chopped olives, drained
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a trifle dish, or a large deep bowl, start to build your salad with the romaine lettuce as the bottom layer.
- Next add the black beans evenly over the romaine.
- Layer a can of corn over the black beans.
- Next add the fresh chopped red pepper and the roasted red peppers.
- Sprinkle paprika over the peppers.
- Next add the avocado layer.
- Pour the salsa verde sauce over the avocados.
- Then drizzle the lime juice evenly.
- Place the tomatoes as the next layer.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over all the salad.
- Add the cheese layer and top with the olives.
- Serve with the honey lime chicken and a drizzle of dressing.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie
Recipe adapted from Food.com