Cheese makes everything better, especially when it is hot and gooey! YUM! My little gal has been in the mood for some macaroni and cheese lately. Whew, literally everyday for the past couple of weeks she has requested for it to be a part of her diet. Thankfully, she has moved past the Troll’s mac and cheese to this delicious crowd pleasing baked number. It is so easy and a great one to double for larger groups. Happy eating!
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounce package of penne pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder
- Croutons, breadcrumbs or crushed buttery crackers
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray with nonstick cooking spray an 8-inch baking pan or a 2 quart baking dish.
- Cook pasta for 6 minutes and drain well.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add milk and cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly.
- Continuing to stir constantly, turn heat to low and simmer 1 minute.
- The mixture will become thick.
- Remove from heat, and add the cheese.
- Stir till the cheese is completely melted.
- In a large bowl, add the pasta and pour the cheese sauce over. Mix well.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a prepared pan.
- Sprinkle additional salt and garlic powder over the whole mixture.
- Top with croutons, bread crumbs or crushed buttery crackers and bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
Note: -In the picture above, I doubled the recipe and crushed buttery crackers over half due to our picky kid eaters.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie
Recipe adapted from Mueller’s