Each month a group of B. Perdy friends come together to eat, drink and throw dice. This is Bunco, and this month I hosted. I’ll be sharing my food from this super fun night later, but one recipe I couldn’t keep to myself are these fabulous key lime pie bars! Oh dear, how incredible they are. They are the perfect treat for those warm Spring and Summer days. Happy eating!
Key Lime Pie Bars
For the Crust:
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
For the Filling:
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Toast the coconut on a baking sheet for 4-6 minutes, keeping a close eye on it so it does not burn. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the toasted coconut, flour, sugar and salt.
- Sprinkle the coconut extract over the top of the mixture.
- Use your hands to blend the butter until it is combined. You can also pulse everything together in a food processor until it is well combined.
- Pat the dough firmly onto the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the filling ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Remove the crust from the oven, let it sit for 2 minutes and then pour the filling over the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes or just until it is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Chill for at least another 2 hours before serving.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie
Recipe courtesy and adapted from Texanerin