Oh how I wish y’all could have tasted one of my Grandmother Moretz’s sticky’s. Just a little biscuit rolled up with cinnamon, sugar and butter. Very simple but oh so delicious! I haven’t had a sticky in forever, and here I am, of course craving them.
Both of my grandmothers were this incredible cooks and bakers. The food they could whip up and turn out was simply mouthwatering. Every time too, which is quite fascinating. Anyways, they hardly wrote a recipe down. If there happens to be one, and it is in either one of their own handwriting, jackpot! It is truly a family heirloom. Growing up I paid attention but not to the degree of exactly how they did it. I honestly don’t know if anyone could make “their” foods and it taste the same. That generation was special and unique, and they cooked in such a way that sets their food apart.
So today, I wish I was sharing my Grandmother Moretz’s actual sticky recipe. I will say though, that my little family who never got a chance to have one of her sticky’s, really enjoyed this version. I hope your people will too! Happy sticky’s eating!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, diced
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, or 2 forks, cut the butter into the flour.
- Pour the milk into the flour and blend until combined.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and toss with flour until it is no longer sticky.
- Roll the dough out until it is similar to the shape of a rectangle and about a 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the cinnamon mixture onto the center of the dough.
- On the left side of the dough, start to roll it into a log.
- Cut the log into 1 inch thick slices.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie
Biscuit recipe adapted from All Recipes