Y’all, when I make one of my mother’s or grandmother’s recipes, it is sacred ground. Seriously… It may be the easiest thing to throw together, but just because it is one of their recipes, it is so dear to me.
Julie Davis, the blogger of Julie Davis – The Good Day Girl, shared a recipe that is not only delish but is more than just food. It is a connection to her mom, who passed away several years ago. Many of Julie’s mom’s recipes, including “Donna’s Chili”, are found in a cookbook that she had made for her. There are not enough words to describe the importance of that cookbook to Julie.
Julie says, “my mom’s chili is simple and yet there’s something about it that makes it taste like a lot of work!” Try it and you will be glad you did! Happy eating friends!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can Campbell’s condensed tomato soup
- 1 soup can of water
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- Salt and pepper
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Brown the meat over medium-high heat.
- Once browned, add the diced onion, garlic and chili powder.
- Cook until soft about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato soup, water, beans and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Once it has boiled, turn heat down and simmer for an hour.
- Serve options are to sprinkle cheddar cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt over it.
Note: B. Perdy loves cornbread, so we suggest serving that with the chili. Also tortilla chips or whole wheat crackers would accompany this well.
Enjoy! XO, Carrie